Saturday, October 11, 2014

Children's Book Analysis and Evaluation - Daddy's Roommate


Title: Daddy's Roommate
Author and Illustrator: Michael Willhoite
Originally published by Alyson Books in 1991

The main character of this book is a boy whose parents got divorce the previous year. He and his father move in together with the father's roommate; Frank. His father and Frank do everything together. The boy lives both father's and mother's house. At the end, the boy is told that his father and Frank are gay by his mother. He realizes that he is happy with his two "daddies".

This story is definitely about sex orientation and gay acceptance. The author does not mention that the father and Frank are gay until the end. However, we can see that the father and Frank do everything together. I believe that the author wanted to show how gay couple live together or there is no problem to raise a child by two men. I also believe what the author wanted to show mostly is how normal homosexual is. At the time when this book was published in 1991, sex orientation and same-sex marriage were the most controversial issues. According to the video, this book was banned in any parts of this country in 1990s. People took this book away from schools and libraries to keep this book out of children's hands. 

This book includes a lot of illustrations and a bit of sentences. This is important for young children to develop their imaginations. However, I feel the illustrations are a little bit of stereotypes. What the father and Frank wear in this book shows typical gays such as shorts and many colored tops. I am not sure that is the trend of clothes at that times. But I feel like the illustration shows typical gay men.

Like I mentioned above, this book describes gay couple's daily life by the perception of the boy. Also, it shows how normal they are like heterosexual couple. We can see the normal life through all pages in this book such as "Dad and his friend Frank are living together. They work together, eat together, sleep together, shave together, and sometimes even fight together" (Willhoite, 1991, p. 3-8).

I choose this book because it relates to my personal life. The knowledge of homosexuals and same-sex marriage have been expanding and accepting in the U.S. The number of states that accept same-sex marriage legally is getting increase. I believe that the number of children who have two daddies or mommies is not zero anymore. However, in the early childhood environment, there are still traditional family style materials such as picture books, songs, finger plays, and toys. I have never seen picture books like this book in preschools. I am sure that there are some parents who do not want their children to look or read this theme books. However, I believe that this is important to show gay acceptance for young children to show two daddies or mommies are normal and nothing different.

 The biggest message to children from this book is that "Being gay is just one more kind of love. And love is the best kind of happiness" (Willhoite, 1991, p. 26-27). I totally agree with this; love is love. We should accept that there are many types of family style. This book does not explain gender roles such as men work and women do domestic work for family. This book shows the equality. 

At the last, I would recommend this book for children. Some children might feel wondering or weird about this book. This theme to show young children that homosexual is acceptable is not common theme like many books address. I believe that this is disappointing. Preschools or publishers should have more books like this; showing many types of family style. Children mostly get wrong knowledge of homosexuals from their parent's statements or medias. Of course I know that accepting homosexuals relates to beliefs in regions for some people. I understand how difficult to accept it completely. However, from my perception, there is nothing bad about homosexuals or other LGBT people. We cannot change others. Homosexuals is not a choice. Personally, I really really want children to take a look this book and read.


Works Cited

Bliss, Kellie. (2014). Evaluating Children's Literature. Retrieved    from https://sierra.instructure.com/courses/245205/assignments/2570955

California Department of Education, Council on Interracial Book for Children. (1998). 10 Quick    Ways to Analyze Children's Books For Racism and Sexism. Sacrament, CA; Bill Honig.

Willhoite, Michael. (1991). Daddy's Roommate. New York: Alyson Books.

8 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job writing your analysis for this book. Thank you for sharing the YouTube link so we can hear the story! I like that "Daddy's Roomate" explains homosexuality in a simple way that children would be able to understand. I also like the illustrations that you shared. They are bright, colorful, and so cheerful, which is what all children's books should have! "Being gay is just one more kind of love. And love is the best kind of happiness" (Willhoite, 1991, p. 26-27) What a great, important message to children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can absolutely see both sides to the use opinions of this book. In our era, the idea of a traditional family is not something that is present all the time, so having a book such as this would welcome the fact of same sex couples being just as loving and functional as heterosexual couples. I do see the hard part of trying to bring this in to the classroom, especially if this is a new concept that hasn't been openly introduced before. I feel that race and culture is a more welcomed tough topic to openly discuss with children, and homosexuality is one that perhaps as we work down that road, will become easier to work in to a curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique and awesome book. I too have never seen or read on like it. It's upsetting to hear that the book was banned in many area's. I agree the illustrations did seem some what stereotyped, But great book none the less. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great book. I think this book would be great information for a child, especially with our evolving times with same sex marriage being legalized. I have never seen a book like this one and I would love to get one to read to my boyfriend's children. Great analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that this book is presented for preschoolers. I've noticed that there aren't too many well written and illustrated books with good lessons for preschool children. Another thing I like about this book is that it started out with broken family. So many books have the stereotypical 'perfect' happy family and I really appreciate that this one is different. Good analysis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this book with me. I completely agree that there are not enough books out there about same sex parents/couples. My son has grown up in a two mom house hold as long as he could remember. I had a really hard time finding books for him to see that there are other books out there showing families like his. I agree that children who are ready to ask the right questions should be allowed to read this book. Thank you again, I really like your blog page, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Daiske, Thanks for sharing this book. I feel this book would be a great resource to help children with same sex parents make sense of things. As you mentioned, this is a good book to present to children who are ready to ask the right questions. I agree that there are not too many books in preschools about this topic. I also agree that some families would not want their children to hear these stories. It is important for early childhood educators to show and model behavior that is accepting of all families, whether they are heterosexual, homosexual, foster, single parents, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you picked this book! I think it can be so influential within and outside of the classroom. Anything that can show the difference among families, and ways that children can deal with them is perfect for children. I wish there were more books like this for children dealing with difficult situations and may have questions.

    ReplyDelete